Sustainability has substance.
It is simplicity itself: essentially it means do no harm and use only what you need.
Made Right Here
Our sustainable clothing is produced with pride in Arizona, our company headquarters, because we are passionate about supporting local manufacturing. Our design and sample rooms are in Tucson. Our volume-production production facility is in Tempe. Both facilities are full of light (of which we have abundance in Arizona), workers are paid fair wages, and our production teams couple less skilled workers with more experienced workers in order to facilitate training.
We believe in cultivating multicultural talent where we live. Our in house design and marketing teams come from around the world, representing cultures as diverse as Norway, Japan, Mexico, and Korea. Our focus on sustainability encompasses workplace, product, sourcing, and production facilities. We aim for zero waste across the spectrum of product development and production.
Our focus on reaching zero waste empowers all workers to brainstorm ideas for redeployment of fabric and trim scraps.
Our most enduring redeployment is our scraps-to-art idea: we donate scraps to local schools for use in their art classes.
We feel warm and fuzzy about that and the art teachers are thrilled to be able to use this unusual medium in their classes.
Sustainability at Laura Tanzer:
- We focus on design and superb craftsmanship and making products with longevity and durability in mind.
- We make items by hand in small batches with skilled workers right here in Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
- We eschew “fast fashion”, thereby reducing the environmental impact of wear-once-and-discard economics.
- We use high-quality, well-constructed textiles that will last a long time. We source quality textiles from the finest producers around the world. Our sources avoid the use of harmful chemicals, thereby protecting the wearer, the workers, and the planet.
- We choose high quality renewable natural fibers (like cotton, linen and silk) over oil-based synthetics (like polyester) because they are more compatible with our bodies: nature to nature.
- We source from countries with laws requiring fair pay for workers. We pay our workers fairly. This, in turn, contributes to peace of mind for the consumer as well as a higher priced finished garment.
- Our original art prints are made using digital printing, which uses very little energy, almost no water, and yet produces infinitely rich color.
- We utilize remnants from our production to produce additional products. Nothing goes to waste! Remnants are repurposed and upcycled and to produce our one of a kind “frammento” garments, as well as totes and handbags. The smallest scraps are donated to schools and to organizations such as the Girl Scouts for art programs.